It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 11 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:53 pm 

Howdy TRA

Thanks for the links

Meteorite impacts or their explosions will cause a similar type of class to be created as noted. Certain types of radiation are found with nuclear explosions. The glass in the Sahara is more probably of a Tunguska type body exploding.

The natural reaction/pile was amazing but doesn't show that mankind or anyone else had nukes. The Indian stories are interesting but they aren't back up by any hard evidence.

If the Indian culture supported airships and nukes that would leave an enormous archaeological footprint. Remember we can prove the Vikings were in NA, that Columbus came on his first voyage, that De Soto wandered thru the SE, that early homo sapiens used wooden spears but we have absolutely nothing from advanced civilizations that existed for X years and produced amazing technology-and didn't leave a single mine, trash dump, or screw for us to find.....this bringing up the "invisible Naki" problem.

Yep god is unknowable, unprovable and one of our more interesting cultural constructs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:26 pm 

howdy, lune! i like the 'god as socio-cultrural construct' thing you slipped in there! i have met very few people who even reallize that they are participating in said construct (either by joining in it or attacking it).

wife's pickin me up in 2 minutes! gotta run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:14 pm 

Religion is cultural and shows all the signs of evolution. If there really was a god(s) the religion would have been complete and unchanging from the beginning-nor would there be thousands of different variants. It would seem the god(s) have deep communication problems.

Ah Mr. P, the first link talks about meteor/comet strikes, there is no mention of Sitchin or Velikovsky by name in the text or the end notes.

We pass thru debris all the time, oddly it doesn't seem to wipe us out. It is also strange that the heat had no effect on the various ice sheets, vegetation or left particle in sediments....more magic eh Mr.P? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:39 pm 

no sweat, MrPP! happy to share.

i wanted to finish, or at least go a little further before my next class shows up, with some thoughts for lune:
the ideas that make the most sense to me, and answer more questions that other theories, DON'T claim airships and advanced weaponry as products of human culture...rather, they were the trappings of their "gods" for whome they worked/worshipped. further, as sitchin and no doubt others assert...when these "gods" pulled away from their human products, they gathered and attempted to destroy all physical evidence of their presence (the need to remove this evidence is one reason i subscribe to the idea of a forced and coordinated withdrawl of contact). in WARS OF GODS AND MEN, sitchin suggestes the Sinai Peninsula as the site of this planned destruction - the space port - and puts forward as evidence geo- and topographical oddities of the area...including irradiated deep-water wells. some strange items surface now and then and cyclopean structures exist whose precision and scope we can barely conceive...much less accomplish (specificaly, we don't have the ability to transport and assemble stonework such as the trilithons of baalbek...and many others to boot).

also lune, the fact that sitchin and velikovsky weren't mentioned in that article goes further to support their ideas than if it had mentioned them. sorta like independent corroboration...or just like it! lol the site that came from is a site that seeks to debunk evolution...so the conclusions they draw and include in the article have nothing to do with (in the authors eyes...who may not even know the names sitchin or velikovsky) an alien race of overlords.

(Edited by ThaRevrendAl at 8:45 am on Jan. 5, 2007)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:52 pm 

Howdy TRA

Well we do agree, humans had no ability (or more correctly we've never found evidence that they had) to have advance tech.

Aliens, well we cannot rule out that aliens might have been here but the physical evidence of their being here is circumstantial in the extreme.

Even planned destruction wouldn't remove all traces, the traces of the disturbance of the earth would remain. The fact that they could (why would they) hunt down each little bit of refined metal, ceramic and plastic is a bit hard to imagine!

I'd like to hear more about the oddities you say S mentioned in Wars of G and M, I didn't read that one of his books.

Baalbek was done by the Romans without any doubt. The Germans just finished an expedition there last year. Found another abandoned 800 ton stone. All Well within Roman technical knowledge to move such stones and set them up-unless you think the Romans took apart the whole structure-down to bedrock and mixed in their grabage and shards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:03 pm 

Just after I finished I realized I left off the link for the latest German report

You can find (in English) a 6 page abstract at this link:

http://cipa.icomos.org/fileadmin/papers ... 05/849.pdf

The Full report is still only available in German AFAIK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:51 am 

howdy, lune! i am in the process of digesting the german report on baalbek. what i first notice is that there is only one mention of the trilithon stones, and that is only in passing. also, i have never seen the assertion that the Romans were capable of quarying and moving any stones nearing their size of these three 800-1000 ton monsters...however, i am currently looking for articles doing juse that. so far, i have found several that state the the Romans did...but nothing suggesting how or refuting the assertion that the temple base the romans built apon was pre-existing.

if you have any more links to share, please do! here is one more from me:
"There are several other matters about the Baalbek stones that further confound archeologists and the conventional theories of prehistoric civilization. There are no legends or folk tales from Roman times that link the Romans with the mammoth stones. There are absolutely no records in any Roman or other literary sources concerning the construction methods or the dates and names of the benefactors, designers, architects, engineers and builders of the Great Terrace."
[url=http://www.sacredsites.com/december2001pages/baalbek.htm

]http://www.sacredsites.com/december2001pages/baalbek.htm

[/url]
...and upon further reading:
"Archaeologists, unable to resolve the mysteries of the transportation and lifting of the great blocks, rarely have the intellectual honesty to admit their ignorance of the matter and therefore focus their attention solely on redundant measurements and discussions regarding the verifiable Roman-era temples at the site. Architects and construction engineers, however, not having any preconceived ideas of ancient history to uphold, will frankly state that there are no known lifting technologies even in current times that could raise and position the Baalbek stones given the amount of working space. The massive stones of the Grand Terrace of Baalbek are simply beyond the engineering abilities of any recognized ancient or contemporary builders."
http://www.sacredsites.com/middle_east/lebanon/baalbek.htm

(Edited by ThaRevrendAl at 8:59 am on Jan. 8, 2007)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:18 pm 

Howdy Reverend

The report is an abstract, the full report would have to be obtained. The full report would also have the details of the new 1000 tonner they found.

The first two German expeditions excavated down to bedrock, they found conventional Roman 'honey-comb' construction, mixed with Roman shards, on top of some earlier bronze age material.

Yep there are no written records of the temples but then a great deal of what the Romans may have recorded has been lost. More interesting is the lack of mention of colossal ruins before the Romans too. Strangely no Greek or other source ever mentioned Baallbek or the stones.

The stones, the quarries are nearby about 600 meters uphill from the site. The Roman windlass techniques were capable of handling that load, slowly but capable.

It is thought that they used them in parallel.

I noted in the link that its fairly accurate but falls down, whoever wrote it hasn't been to the site.

Of course if you blow off the Romans you then have a problem, there is no evidence for anyone else building at the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:54 pm 

howdy, lune! what i've read about the limestone/trash fillings said that they were above the trilithons. also, i've been reading about the german expeditions and can't see where there is mention of them excavating below these stones...to bedrock in other areas, perhaps. also, the weathering/erosion of these foundation stones does not match with those known to be of the roman era...lending credence to the idea that they predate the roman presence. also, there are, in fact, mentions of the ancient site in various oral traditions whose cultural attachment to the area predate the romans as well as some biblical references which some believe to be about baalbek.

it seems to me that we both are comfortable with our own thoughts regarding this subject and that we are both endeavoring to gather more information. it seems that you are comfortable with the romans having built the whole complex (or perhaps i assume too much?), and i am of the opinion that they built atop a preexisting structure. both of our opinions may be founded on other's scientific research and non-scientific assumptive conclusions and both of our opinions could (if one chose) be dismissed using that same research and conclusions. yours, however, does fit with the popular historical perspective...while mine, alas, does not! i don't pretend to know the truth, but i'm comfortable floating in the ether of "maybes"...

let's keep up the reading!

(Edited by ThaRevrendAl at 11:56 am on Jan. 8, 2007)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:45 pm 

But of course!

One question, "there are, in fact, mentions of the ancient site in various oral traditions whose cultural attachment to the area predate the romans"

Share please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:02 am 

over the past several days of reading and pulling up as much information as i can, i have seen several references to the phoenicians mentioning "the gods" as teh original assemblers of the trilithons and the first structure at balbek AND assertions that below the roman remains are, in fact, greek ruins and below them...phoenician ones. here is one such site that cites it's own resources pretty well: http://phoenicia.org/
there are several pages here that mention the phoenician connections as, "of course, everyone knows that". i know that i have read of other, smaller tribal names mentioned as having oral traditions of baalbek..but damned if i can find 'em just now.

"according to Sanchoniatho, Ouranus was supposed to have "devised Baetulia, contriving stones that moved as having... " Sanchoniatho, being ( i think ) a phoenician historian.

(Edited by ThaRevrendAl at 6:10 am on Jan. 9, 2007)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:41 am 

Howdy Reverend

The evacs found some greek ruins and other habitations back to 3000 BC on site. However the evidence of the guarries, construction methods, methodologies etc shows the existing ruins to be Roman. If someone else built the earlier foundation no evidence exists that they did. I believe that the erosion difference is caused by the earlier layer of stone being from a softer upper layer of stone from the quarry. This I believe was in the 1904-05 report

Sanchoniathon is not entirely reliable, I would suggest that Philo's account is a viable source despite heavy corruptions if and when it agrees with the Ugarit Baal materials.

It's uncertain if Philo made up Sanchoniathon and use material from his own time, previous legends or Sancho actually existed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:20 pm 

Hey Mr. P

False statement dude, read what I wrote very very carefully. Its doesn't say what you think. Sheeesh.

Do you understand the relationship between P and S?

Do you understand what P's philosophy was and what he was trying to support?

Have you read the Ugarit Baal materials?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:06 am 
Site Admin

Please stay on "Long Life Spans" or post elsewhere on the site.

Thanks

Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:40 am 

I have been enjoying the discussion on Baalbek, as I have participated in several similiar discussions, and appreciate the fresh outlooks. Could the discussion be moved to the "Ancient Monuments' forum? I'll even open a topic.

And as to the Annunaki living so long... we need only see who has the big bank accounts, as compound interest over a couple of thousand years would probably leave them with a couple of dollars in their pockets. Who is super rich and doesn't have to work? Is their back patio or tennis court built with 10 foot thick concrete? With those clues, all you investigators should be able to find the survivors. Please report back soonest.

Page 11 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next